Science Standards in a Snap: Summer Science Institute
Monday, June 9 - Friday, June 13
Time: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Location: WonderLab Museum
Audience: Priority will be given to grade 5 teachers. Space permitting, teachers of other grade levels may attend with the understanding that the specific activities will address science content standards for grade 5 only. The general focus on science process skills, inquiry methods and connections to language arts standards will be applicable to grades 3-5.
Lunch Monday-Thursday: One hour break on-your-own Lunch Friday: Catered at the museum
Cost: FREE for teachers Stipend: $525 for week's attendance
Optional: Receive 3 hours IU graduate credit with partial tuition support (forms required)
Registration: Advance registration is required. Deadline Friday, May 30!
To register, contact Celeste Wolfinger as noted at above left.
Cancellation Policy: Space in this workshop is limited. If you are registered but need to cancel, please let us know as soon as possible, but at least a week in advance of the workshop, so that we can offer the space to waitlisted individuals.
Learn about the Next Generation Science Standards and their connections to current Indiana State Science Standards, plus get new ideas about how to integrate language arts and math standards with science curricula using a science notebook! The workshop format includes:
- Inspiring, in-depth science content presented by outstanding Indiana University faculty and other area science professionals on Ecosystems: producers, consumers, decomposers (Life Science); Astronomy – Sun, Moon, Earth systems (Earth Science); Weight, Volume, Changes in State (Physical Science); Real World Problems and Solutions – Models for engineering human body system (Engineering and Technology)
- Hands-on practice teaching fifth grade science content using an inquiry approach based on science process skills and practice using a science notebook format to strengthen language arts skills and solidify science learning
- Hands-on activity ideas and resource materials for your classroom
- Help with and time to plan a unit that can be ready to go for fall
- A discount (20% off) in WonderLab's gift store during the week of the Institute
- A free field trip for up to 25 students or 25 WonderPasses (one-day free admission passes for individuals)